ABC Debate Report Card: Romney Won

I just finished watching the ABC debate and I thought I’d share a few quick thoughts. For the most part it wasn’t a very eventful night, but there were a few key moments. So here, without further ado, here are my winners and losers:

WINNERS:

Mitt Romney – Excellent night. Mostly an A+ performance. He had a couple moments where he was truly inspirational talking about the country and the founding principles and the economy. There were a couple moments where I felt he was elaborating too much, but overall, an excellent night. No one really attacked him and the few attacks that were presented he knocked out of the ballpark. The most awkward part of the debate was his interchange with George about contraception, but it also led to the quote of the night: “Contraception is working just fine. Leave it alone.” That was the moment where the pressure was put back on George to move on to another question, and when he tried to press the issue, the audience booed him.

Contraception – Because of that quote by Mitt Romney. Enough said.

LOSERS:

George Stephanopoulos – It was very obvious that George was annoyed when the contraception question got turned on its head and made him look bad. It ended up with the audience booing him. Not a good night for him.

THE REST

The rest of the candidates were at par. None of them made major errors. None of them were flawless. Each had small mistakes, and most of them will probably remain where  they are in the polls. The potential exception could be Newt Gingrich. While he had one or two bad moments (Ron Paul’s attack on draft dodging), but he also had some of the greatest applause lines of the night. For the most part, the Newt that excels in debates was only present for a small portion of the debate tonight. Ron Paul had one or two moments where he was actually very inspiring and I liked what he was saying, but I can’t reconcile with a couple of his policies that just aren’t mainstream.

What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

UPDATE: Here’s another person’s take on the debate results.

10 Responses to “ABC Debate Report Card: Romney Won”

1. January 7, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

I thought this debate was one of his best performances. He came out of this without a glove laid upon him. He slapped Huntsman back for pushing the Obama agenda in China, while other candidates were here trying to get other Republicans elected.

LOVED it when he mentally body slammed George Stupidnapholis!

2. January 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Loved this analysis. Congrats on a nice post. The moderators and their questions as a whole were big losers tonight. The analysts and pundits at ABC so completely out of touch.

I would say ABC is the biggest loser.

3. Thomas
    January 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

I cannot trust a man who goes back and forth on the issues as much as Romney has.

If anyone is unaware of his flipfloppery, please take an honest look into it before fully (blindly) supporting him. Especially Christians.

4. January 7, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

I think Huntsman looked like a wuss on China, and his decision to speak in Chinese during the debate was awkward, lame, and only reinforced his wussiness on China.

Mitt won big, looked great, and the commentators on ABC were forced to admit it.

Best part is, Santorum lost big when Ron Paul exposed him as a big government spender.

Noot didn’t do much either, and that’s good.

5. Diana_Florida
    January 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Excellent analysis. Everything you said was ‘right on’. Thanks for writing it.

6. January 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Thomas, everyone who posts on this site is well aware of every single position Governor Romney has. My bet is that, like everyone else, you’ve been subject to talking points from talking heads that are incorrect. You’ve seen YouTube videos with cunningly devised “snippets” that take Governor Romney’s remarks out of context. The only position he has really ever changed on was abortion, and it was whether or not Government should have its hand in a personal decision. Personally he was pro-life, but when the bill actually came to him he could not sign it. Mitt was an Independent earlier on in his life (which I will be if this party doesn’t stop eating their own) but as far as “flip flopping”, that is a very extreme label to put of a person who has changed a few of his views because those views, he came to find out, were incorrect. “Flip Flipping” is when you change, then change back. Not a label Governor Romney is worthy of.

7. January 7, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

“I think Huntsman looked like a wuss on China, and his decision to speak in Chinese during the debate was awkward, lame, and only reinforced his wussiness on China”

I agree MassCon. Using Mandarin was weird and cheesy and I am glad that Mitt Biotch slapped him over pushing the Obama agenda in China while the other GOP contenders were helping to get other Republicans elected. I thought this was one of his strongest performances, and I thought the moment when he mentally body slammed George Stupidnapholis was probably the greatest and memorable debate moment so far. Ron Paul was doing Mitt’s dirty work tonight!

8. Thomas
    January 7, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I would appreciate not being made an ass along with yourself, when you take the liberty to assume so much, Spence.

Good day.

9. January 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Thomas, you made yourself look like an ass in your first comment. Don’t put that one me bro.

10. Bob from Texas
    January 8, 2012 at 12:21 am #

I agree that Mitt was the overall winner of the debate. He was the one who had the most to lose, but he withstood the early attacks and, in my opinion, further entrenched himself as the eventual nominee. As the debate went into the second hour, it became abundantly that Mitt is campaigning against Obama and the rest of the field, with the possible exception of Rep. Paul, is campaigning against Mitt.

Santorum said that GOP voters are looking for a candidate who can win. I agree, and Santorum is not that person. Only Mitt, based on polls, can win the independent votes and swing states needed to win the general election.